Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Our society is increasingly becoming disengaged with reality

Today I found a snippet of writing from 2 years ago (30/12/08) Reading it back I found a lot similar to my previous post about Dan Phillips. I thought I'd share.

(Everytime I see this image it blows my mind)

The root cause of most of the problems with our society is our disengagement with reality.
Cultural courtesies and selfish ambitions prevent us from being completely honest with our fellow men.
Our desire for acceptance and belonging prevent us from being ourselves.
Our jobs, cities, homes and cars prevent us from seeing that we are merely animals whose only true needs are of shelter, food and water.

In western society we all have these things, but are we all happy? We have everything we'll ever need, but are we content? 
"The best definition of man is: a being that goes on two legs and is ungrateful." Dostoevsky, Notes from the Underground. (One of my favorite quotes of all time)

We are all caught up in a whirlwind of being told what to do. People everywhere are trying to enjoy themselves and more still are telling them how to do it (for a competitive price of course). We are all living a dream but it is not as idyllic as it could and should be. I try to break away from this dream world of people as often as I can, without being disconnected from it completely, as this would be a very lonely life. A life possibly even more pointless than what could be created in the dreamed up world of mass society. So this is my goal in life, my message to the world to ‘get real’ to ask the questions “is this really what I want to do?” “am I really enjoying myself?” and “what am I achieving with my life?”

The line of relevance: “Queen Elizabeth isn’t free... they are hiding something.”
(I could probably think of a more relevant link if I thought hard enough, but this will do for now)
Where Che Guevara saw injustice, poverty and people being kicked off their land I see delusion, unhappiness and people with no direction in their lives. I do not fight for justice, freedom or better living conditions, we have all these things already, what we need is understanding, reason and aspirations. We need to stop praising those who earn more money than us and start praising those who have made something of their lives, people who make the lives of others better and people who are truly happy. True happiness not being something that is fleeting but rather something more prolonged that can last through hard times and which ultimately leads to contentment. Being content, it should be realised, is quite an easy achievement and one which should be within the grasp of everyone in our society. The fact that it doesn’t often seemed to be reached is a sad one which I hope to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment