Wednesday, July 20, 2011

To be an existentialist is to not be a nihilist



An existentialist lives in hope and appreciates what he’s got.
A nihilist lives in despair and is spiteful to others for their indifference.
Reading more of Dostoyevsky ('The Idiot') today I grimace at how much I relate to the descriptions of his nihilist anti-heroes. As I think more about nihilism and it’s consequences I once again consider the meaninglessness of it all. But I think ‘well if nothing means anything I may as well enjoy myself’. To have no fear of death is actually a very powerful trait. It is as empowering as it is liberating. This is what existentialism is to me. It is the power to do whatever you want and think is the right thing to do. Unlike a nihilist an existentialist sees this desire for self-fulfilment as enough of a reason in of itself to be pursued.
I actually don’t understand how a true nihilist can exist. To feel that everything is meaningless is surely a depressing thought and if there is no possible meaning to life then why live through this depression? Surely any ‘true’ nihilist would commit suicide as soon as they reached their nihilistic conclusion?

No comments:

Post a Comment